In a recent blog post, we looked at the return on investment of building a deck. Home improvement experts confirm that such an addition to a home can significantly improve resale value. With that in mind, homeowners shouldn’t just build a deck for the sake of having one. It’s important to do your own research before getting started with the process. One thing to look at specifically is the decking material. Should you opt for natural or composite decking? Though it seems like a minor detail, your choice will affect how the deck looks and functions. In this blog post, we will look at some of the most common myths about decking materials.
- Wood is too expensive – Nothing compares to the look of natural wood. And yet, many homeowners believe that it’s too expensive for their decking project. Rest assured that domestic softwoods remain one of the industry’s most cost-effective solutions. Though there are countless composite options out there, it’s best to stick to the real stuff. One more piece of information here: Wood decks retain more of their value than composites when the time comes to sell.
- Wood requires too much maintenance – Compared to composites, wood decks require a bit more care. By this, we mean the occasional washing and finishing to preserve its look. Frankly, our deck builders believe that the few hours of maintenance each year are well worth the beauty of natural wood.
- The beauty of wood can be easily duplicated – It’s really no secret why wood continues to be the top choice for deck products. Not only does natural wood look and feel incredible, but it also lasts a long time with proper upkeep. So don’t be fooled by decking companies who try to duplicate the look of real wood.
- Composites are just as eco-friendly as wood – Deck contractors are coming up with more ways to create products from recycled materials. As great as that may be, remember that wood is the only building material that’s completely renewable and sustainable. Not to mention, wood improves air quality by absorbing carbon dioxide and emitting oxygen.
- Wood is destroying forests – The natural wood used in decking products are harvested from the most sustainably managed forests in the world. Don’t think that choosing real wood for your deck is going to come at the expense of our environment.
About Our Decking Materials
So what can you expect from our deck builder exactly? Let’s start with the fact that Ready Decks uses only the highest quality of materials. You can feel comfortable knowing that our products are constructed using premium grade, treated lumber. Unlike other deck installers, the decking boards at Ready Decks are hand-selected at the sawmill. This guarantees freedom from knots and heart-of-pine boards.
Our professionals have been making the dream of beautiful, affordable decks a reality of folks for nearly two decades. Don’t just trust any contractor to handle your project. Instead, get in touch with our local deck builders today.