It’s time to ditch those heavy coats and snow boots. Summertime is almost here! What better way to kick it off than with an awesome Memorial Day barbecue? Here are 10 tips for throwing a cookout that friends and family will remember for years to come:
- Figure out the drinks – No barbecue is complete without plenty of cold, delicious beverages. Depending on your guests, you may need to make a beer run earlier in the week. Wanting to have something a little different for the occasion? Then opt for a drink that’s more fruity and tart. Will there be guests in attendance who don’t drink alcohol? Then be sure to have non-alcoholic options such as iced tea and lemonade (Arnold Palmer, anyone?).
- Have several appetizers – The best Memorial Day celebrations are the ones with the best food. We’re not just talking about burgers and brats, either. We’re willing to bet that your guests will arrive hungry. Make it a point to serve several appetizers, whether it’s chips and dip, jalapeno poppers, or fruits and veggies. Don’t forget about gluten-free options to keep everyone happy.
- Grill up a storm – There’s nothing more American than grilling on Memorial Day. From hot dogs and brats to burgers and chicken, there really is something to satisfy everyone’s tastes. Pro tip: be sure to stock up on condiments several days before the celebration. The last thing you want is guests sharing an old bottle of mustard you found in the back of the fridge.
- Put on a fun playlist – The music possibilities are endless on Memorial Day. Enjoy summer jazz? How about classic rock (personally, we recommend The Beach Boys)? Obviously, you’re hosting the party so you have the power over the tunes. That said, don’t hesitate to take requests from your guests.
- Set up yard games – Who says the fun has to be over after lunchtime? If you want to keep your guests entertained for several hours, then yard games are an absolute must. Cornhole, ladder ball, and bocce ball are among the crowd favorites, but feel free to get creative! You can even take it a step further and make your own Memorial Day yard game tournament.
- Don’t forget dessert – The cherry on top of any cookout is an unbelievable dessert. For Memorial Day, we recommend ice cream bars or a few apple pies with vanilla ice cream. Have some extra root beer from lunch? Then see if anyone would be interested in root beer floats.
- Keep everyone hydrated – This is a great chance to catch up with friends and family who you may not have seen in a while. Frankly, it’s easy to forget about drinking water, especially when you’re throwing back a few cold ones. Don’t let someone get heat stroke just because you didn’t have bottled water available.
How Our Deck Builder Can Help
Have you recently been searching for a dependable deck installer? Here at Ready Decks, our deck contractor can set you up with a beautiful, functional space for your next cookout. We have a number of affordable, durable products to fit your needs, including the following:
- Mobile home decks for sale
- Premade decks
- Prefab decks
See what our seasoned deck builder can do for you.